FREE FIRST THURSDAY NIGHT, MARCH 1, 5–9 P.M.
Montclair Art Museum Offers Free Admission,
Art Activities, Tours, Live Music, and a Full-Service Bar
the First Thursday of the Month
March Edition Celebrates Women’s History Month with Slide Night featuring
Women Artists in partnership with Visual Arts Center of NJ
MONTCLAIR, NJ, February 21, 2018— Enjoy a night out at the Montclair Art Museum (MAM) with free general admission, live music, art activities and tours, dynamic seasonal programming, and a full-service bar at Free First Thursday Night, March 1, 5–9 p.m.! Free First Thursday Nights are made possible by TD Bank.
In March, MAM is pleased to partner on a Slide Night with the Visual Arts Center of NJ to celebrate Women’s History Month. Distinguished curators from across the state have been invited to select a female living artist to spotlight. The curators will introduce the artists, who will each present a selection of their works. Participating curators include Anonda Bell, Director & Chief Curator of Paul Robeson Galleries; Jeanne Brasile, Director of the Wash Gallery at Seton Hall University; Kristen Evangelista, Director of William Paterson University Galleries; Henone Girma, Independent Curator; Donna Gustafson, Curator of American Art and Mellon Director for Academic Programs at Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum; Margaret O’Reilly, Executive Director, New Jersey State Museum; and Midori Yoshimoto, Gallery Director & Professor of Art History at New Jersey City University. Featured artists will be So Yoon Lym, Heejung Kim, Marion Wilson, Eileen Ferara, Marsha Goldberg, Dahlia Elsayed, and Nancy Cohen. The program is organized by Mary Birmingham, Curator at the Visual Arts Center of NJ, and Sarah Walko, Director of Education & Community Engagement at the Visual Arts Center of NJ, and will begin at 7 p.m.
Free First Thursday Night also presents a variety of art forms and invites visitors to get creative themselves!
- Get ready for St. Patrick’s Day with live Irish music in the galleries, featuring Chroma, the musical trio L.E. McCullough, Amy Beshara, and Max Carmichael
- Take a tour of the special traveling exhibition Kay WalkingStick: An American Artist at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.
- Join the Yard School of Art for a Draw Along Workshop offering a free drawing session with a clothed model and guided art instruction for all ages.
- Meet community partners including Clean Water Action, Start Out Fresh Intervention Advocates (S.O.F.I.A.), and the League of Women Voters.
- New! Teen Space welcomes teens with a free open studio, 7–9 p.m.
- New! Capture the fun with an official MAM photo to share on social media.
The Free First Thursday Night bar offers a variety of drinks, including NJ Beer Co. beer, the exclusive beer of Free First Thursday Night. Museum members receive a discount on drinks at the bar. Guests can also grab a bite from featured food vendors including Empanada Guy and Thai Elephant food trucks.
Free First Thursday Nights take place the first Thursday of the month (October–June) from 5 to 9 p.m. Highlights in the spring season include a live interactive event with Bring it to the Table, Admission Nation flamenco demonstration in May, and the Pictures Concert, a collaboration with NJ Arts Collective, in June.