Thank you for your interest in a Counselor-in-Training position at the Montclair Art Museum 2020 SummerART camps. There are four 2-week-long camp sessions during the months of June, July, and August. Camps run Monday–Friday, 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m., and our students range in age from 5 to 15. At the end of each two-week camp, we have a closing reception on Friday from 4:30–5:30 p.m. where all of the students’ art is exhibited for family and friends to enjoy.
2020 SummerART camp dates:
- Session I: June 29 – July 10 (no camp on July 3)
- Session II: July 13 – 24
- Session III: July 27 – August 7
- Session IV: August 10 – 21
Counselors-in-Training may work either full-time or part-time:
- Full-time: 9:00 a.m.–5:15 p.m. daily
- Mornings: 8:15 a.m.–2:15 p.m.
- Afternoons: 11:15 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
Counselors-in-Training duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing individual attention to students during class time
- Setting up and cleaning up studios
- Assisting Lead Counselors with check in table duties for checking students in and out of the building
- Monitoring or accompanying students who need to leave the classroom
- Monitoring lunch hour and organizing outdoor recess activities
- Helping injured or sick students by administering minor first aid
- Keeping students safe, happy, and focused
- Special assignments as assigned by instructors and other SummerART leadership
Serving as a Montclair Art Museum Counselor-in-Training is also an educational experience. SummerART Counselors-in-Training should anticipate the following learning objectives:
- Gain understanding of inner workings of art museum classes by working directly with professional artists, instructors, and administrators
- Enhance leadership skills by assisting students and serving as a role model
- Gain experience working with children and enhance teaching ability through lesson reinforcement to children
- Represent the Montclair Art Museum in a professional manner and appearance
Counselors-in-Training must abide by the policies and standards of the SummerART Counselor Manual.
SummerART Counselors-in-Training must be at least 15 years of age and have prior experience in education, art, and/or child care. This is an unpaid position, but Counselors-in-Training can expect to be given priority for Lead Counselor positions in future summers, based on successful completion of their Counselor-in-Training commitments this season.
Counselors-in-Training applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, it is appreciated if all applications are submitted by or before May 15, 2020. Once the completed application is received, applicants will be contacted for an interview. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Montclair Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The company does not tolerate discrimination against any employee, and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals without regard to race, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, gender identity or expression, disability, liability for military service, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.