SummerART Lead Counselors
Thank you for your interest in a Lead Counselor position for the 2020 Montclair Art Museum SummerART camps. There are four 2-week-long camp sessions during the months of June, July, and August. Camps run Monday–Friday, 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m., and our students range in age from 5 to 15. At the end of each two-week camp, we have a closing reception on Friday from 4:30–5:30 p.m. where all of the students’ artwork is exhibited for family and friends to enjoy.
2020 SummerART camps dates:
- Session I: June 29 – July 10 (no camp on Friday, July 3)
- Session II: July 13 – 24
- Session III: July 27 – August 7
- Session IV: August 10 – 21
Lead Counselors must work full-time, Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5:15 p.m. for at least one session.
Lead Counselors duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as lead assistant to instructor in assigned classroom
- Supervise Counselors-in-Training
- Re-enforce lesson plans by providing individual attention to students during class time
- Oversee and assist with studio set-ups and breakdowns
- Oversee and assist with reception set-up and breakdown
- Work at the check-in table for checking students in and out of the building
- Monitor or accompany students who need to leave the classroom
- Monitoring lunch hour and organizing outdoor recess activities
- Oversee and assist with monitoring children during lunch hour and organize outdoor recess activities
- Help injured or sick students by administering minor first aid
- Special assignments as assigned by instructors and other SummerART leadership
Serving as a Montclair Art Museum Counselor is also an educational experience. SummerART Lead Counselors should anticipate the following learning objectives:
- Gain understanding of inner workings of art museum classes by working directly with professional artists, instructors, and administrators
- Enhance leadership skills by supervising and assisting volunteers
- Enhance artistic talent and teaching ability through lesson reinforcement to children
- Represent the Montclair Art Museum in a professional manner and appearance
Lead Counselors must abide by the policies and standards of the Museum’s Volunteer and Intern Handbook.
SummerART Lead Counselors are provided a stipend to assist with travel expenses, lunch break, materials, etc. To be eligible, you must be at least 16 years old, have previous work/intern experience at MAM or another camp, and you must be available to work full-time (9:15 a.m.–5:15 p.m.) for the session in which you receive the stipend. Priority for the Lead Counselors positions is given to high school and college students whom have previously worked at the Montclair Art Museum SummerART Camps. Once your completed application is received, you will be contacted for an interview. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Montclair Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The company does not tolerate discrimination against any employee, and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals without regard to race, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, gender identity or expression, disability, liability for military service, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.