MAM LAWN PARTY
Celebrating the opening of Eric Carle: Animals and Friends
Featuring a Parents Who Rock 10th Anniversary Benefit Concert for MAM
September 12, 2015, 12–5 p.m.
MONTCLAIR, NJ, August 12, 2015—All are invited to the MAM Lawn Party, Saturday, September 12, 12–5 p.m. at the Montclair Art Museum (MAM)! Free and open to the public, this daylong celebration will highlight the opening of the Montclair Art Museum’s exhibition Eric Carle: Animals and Friends and include a special Parents Who Rock 10th Anniversary Benefit Concert for MAM. Join MAM and Parents Who Rock outside on the Museum’s lawn for performances by over 20 local bands, bring the kids for family-friendly activities, see MAM’s brand new exhibitions, enter to win exciting raffle baskets, and enjoy delicious fare from a variety of food vendors.
The MAM Lawn Party will offer a first look of Eric Carle: Animals and Friends, the Museum’s newest special exhibition, on view through January 3. Including over 60 original works by the acclaimed children’s book author and illustrator Eric Carle (b. 1929), most recognized for the iconic book The Very Hungry Caterpillar (1969), the exhibition highlights the artist’s meticulous preparatory process and key childhood themes of animals and friendship. Additional new exhibitions on view include Illustrations and Literary Themes in American Art and Work and Leisure in American Art.
The Parents Who Rock Benefit Concert will last all afternoon and feature over 20 local bands and performers including Warren Zanes! Parents Who Rock is a nonprofit association of musicians and others based in Montclair who volunteer their time and talents onstage and behind the scenes to raise money for not-for-profit organizations throughout the community. The group was founded by Alma Schneider in 2005 and will celebrate its 10th Anniversary at the MAM Lawn Party. Parents Who Rock has helped to raise more than $200,000 for local nonprofits and educational institutions. Proceeds from the MAM Lawn Party will support MAM’s art education programs designed for special needs audiences.
Family programming at the MAM Lawn Party will include art activities such as a collage project inspired by Eric Carle, the launch of a children’s art contest sponsored by TD Bank, an instrument petting zoo in partnership with School of Rock, and the MAM Art Truck. Don’t miss family yoga with Jacquie Ruderman and Eric Carle face painting! The Family Learning Lab and Reading Nook will also be open for interactive gallery experiences.
Complete your day by entering to win an exciting raffle basket comprising everything from relaxation packages to children’s goodies and grabbing a delicious bite from one of the participating food vendors like Cakeaholic Obsession, Cheezen Food Truck, Lost Brother’s Pizza Truck, Ms. Fu’s Yummy Food Truck, The Green Radish, Nick’s Shaved Ice, and Yogic Chai.
MAM members are invited to an exhibition preview and brunch reception prior to the MAM Lawn Party. For more information about Museum membership, visit montclairartmuseum.org or call 973-259-5151.
- Angelbeck’s offers great wines, spirits, and beers. Serving Montclair since 1933.
- Apple Village is a design-centric children's furnishings and gift shop located in Upper Montclair, NJ.
- Baristanet – Your Local Online Community Since 2004. Serving Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge...and Essex County.
- Dirt and Noise is a trendy kids clothing store located on Church Street featuring a curated selection of the hippest childrens’ brands from around the globe.
- D’MONI is a boutique women’s apparel and accessories shop that offers both global lines and unique finds from up-and-coming designers
- Elements Massage offers therapeutic, handcrafted, and personalized massage to meet clients’ every need.
- Fancy Faces Facepainting offers faicepaint, glitter tattoos, and feather hear extensions for the best party you can imagine!
- Jacquie Ruderman teaches yoga both privately and in studio classes for adults at JaiPure Yoga and Be Evolution.
- Java Love Roasters is a female owned and operated small batch coffee roasting located in Bethel, NY and Montclair, NJ. They are known for their amazing staff, customer service, fresh roasted coffee and their consistent support of local communities.
- Makeready Gallery Framing – where framing is an art and great art is on view.
- Portraits by Michael Stahl is the area’s leading family portrait studio specializing in heirloom quality black and white portraits.
- Whole Foods Market Montclair – America’s Healthiest Grocery Store
Eric Carle: Animals and Friends was organized in conjunction with The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, Amherst, Massachusetts.
Generous support at the Montclair Art Museum provided by Rosemary and Al Iversen, Leslie Larson and Don Katz, and Ivonne and Jon Ruggles. Special thanks to the Scholastic Reading Club and Penguin Young Readers.
All Museum programs are made possible, in part, by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, and by funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, Carol and Terry Wall / The Vance Wall Foundation, the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, and Museum members.