MAM's goal with image requests is to convey our collections to the public through the authorized use of images for the purposes of reproduction and distribution, while protecting the integrity of all MAM property.
- In order to make an image request please submit a letter or email with the following information:
- Contact information; mailing address, telephone, and email
- Title and artist of artwork requested
- Reason for image request (type of publication)
- Title, author, and publisher of work
- Size of print run
- Anticipated publication date
- Image type required (jpeg or tiff file, image resolution specs)
- Desired delivery method (email/cd)
- Processing: Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for a response. You will be charged a flat fee of $50 for any rush requests (less than 4 weeks notice). Please note that in rush situations, MAM is not responsible for and cannot guarantee that your printing deadline will be met. Please schedule your request accordingly.
- Photography does not exist for all objects in the MAM collection or may not be available in the format you request. In this event, MAM will contact you to discuss options for new photography and review alternative formats.
- Pre-payment: The image(s) you request will not be released until payment is made in full. MAM accepts credit card payment (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express) or checks payable to the Montclair Art Museum. All payments must be made in US dollars; checks issued from non-US banks will not be accepted.
- If you wish to publish the image either alone or in a collection, book, magazine, or film/video for profit, you must receive permission from MAM. The Museum must see and sign off on proofs of all images in their final context.
- When the reproduction will be used solely for research purposes, the reproduction fee is waived.
- The Museum retains the right to deny any image request.
- In most cases, MAM does not hold the copyright to materials in its collection and so cannot grant or deny permission to publish them, nor can the Museum assume responsibility for determining their copyright status. Permission by MAM to borrow or the sale of a photoduplication does not grant authorization to publish. It is your responsibility to determine whether materials are under copyright, to discover who owns the copyright, and to obtain permission to publish. The Montclair Art Museum should always be cited as the source of the image with the appropriate credit line.
Request Submission Information
Mail the request to:
Montclair Art Museum
Attn: Image Requests
3 South Mountain Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042
Email the request to:
Journalists interested in press materials should visit our online Press Room or contact [email protected]