Create a styrofoam print to use again and again! Want more art at home? Register for virtual SummerART Camp.
- Piece of styrofoam; can be recycled from packaging or food takeout containers! if so, be sure to clean with soap and water before starting the project
- Scrap paper
- Washable markers
- Paper to create your print on
- Clean sponge
- Container of water
- Sketch your print design on a piece of paper first. Keep in mind you can erase on the paper, but not on the styrofoam! So make your sketch exactly as you want it on your foam.
- Place your sketch on the styrofoam sheet and trace, pressing firmly with the pencil. The paper may tear as you do this, but that is okay!
- Go over your design on the styrofoam again to be sure it is pressed in enough for your design to show up.
- Color your design with washable markers. Tip: the markers can smudge, so color from left to right if you are right-handed, or right to left if you are left-handed!
- Wet your sponge and squeeze out most of the water, then press it onto your paper. The paper should be damp, not saturated with the water.
- Press your colored styrofoam, colored side facing down, onto your wet paper. Rub the back of the foam all over your image, so that your print is created evenly.
- Peel off your styrofoam slowly to reveal your print! You can create another print by rinsing off the remaining marker, drying it with a paper towel, and coloring again.