Yard School of Art Policies & Procedures
- The Montclair Art Museum (MAM) accepts mailed, walk-in, and faxed registrations using the enrollment forms found in the brochure and processes online registrations through MAM’s website. Walk-in registrations may be completed at, and left at, MAM’s receptionist desk.
- Registrations are processed in the order in which they are received and class enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. MAM members at the Friends & Family Level and above can take advantage of priority registration in advance of open enrollment.
- Registration is complete when MAM is in receipt of full payment. An e-mail address is required at time of registration. You will receive an e-mail confirmation approximately one week prior to the start of class. MAM staff will contact students only in the event of class cancellation or if class reaches maximum enrollment before your registration is received. Assume a class is running and your registration has been accepted unless you are contacted.
- No confirmations will be sent in the mail.
- Classes, workshops, and camps not meeting a minimum enrollment one week prior to the first day will be cancelled.
- Students enrolling after the start of the session are still required to pay full tuition. Tuition is not pro-rated.
- MAM will send an e-mail with parent packet for all child and teen camps that includes emergency contact and other forms to be returned prior to the first day of camp.
- MAM reserves the right to refuse admission or dismiss any student due to inappropriate behavior.
- Students are not permitted to promote businesses or groups that compete with MAM’s mission during class time or through student interactions, and will be dismissed from class without refund or refused admission.
Refunds for Classes, Workshops, and Camps
- Full refunds will be provided in the event that a class or workshop does not meet minimum enrollment and is canceled. All other refunds are subject to a nonrefundable $25 administrative fee.
- Tuition for classes and workshops will be refunded if notice of withdrawal is provided at least 14 days prior to start date of the semester or date of workshop. If notice of withdrawal to a class or workshop is given within two weeks prior to the start of the semester or date of workshop, students will receive a 50% refund, less the $25 administrative fee.
- Tuition for camps will be refunded if notice of withdrawal is provided at least 30 days prior to the start date of the camp. If notice is given within 30 days prior to the start date, you will receive a 50% refund, less the $25 administrative fee.
- The $25 administrative fee and Museum membership are non-refundable.
Student Account Credit
Students who withdraw between the first and third week of the semester, or between the first and third day of summer camp will be issued a non-refundable account credit. All credits are subject to a non-refundable $25 administrative fee. Credits will be issued for the remaining classes only. After this window of time, no credits will be issued. Credits will be valid for two years from date issued.
Students may transfer to any class not already filled within the first two weeks of class.
Make Up Classes and Substitute Instructors
Classes not held due to a federal holiday, museum closure, or the instructor’s absence are made up at end of the session. Students missing class will not receive a make-up class, refund, or credit. MAM reserves the right to substitute instructors of equal caliber in an emergency.
Closing Due to Snow, Hazardous Inclement Weather or Emergency
Please check the Museum’s website www.montclairartmuseum.org and/or the voice mail message after 7 a.m. weekdays and after 9 a.m. on weekends at 973-746-5555. If MAM is already open, but will close early, the recording will be changed. Although school closings throughout the area will be taken into account as the decision is made about whether to close, MAM’s website and phone number are the ultimate source of information.
Free parking is available in the Museum’s lot. For evening classes, please enter MAM parking lot at the South Mountain entrance.
MAM is not responsible for artwork and other property left on the premises, and has no liability if such property is stolen. A lost and found box is located at the Harris Education Entrance.
Materials and Supplies
Materials for children's and young teen courses and camps are provided. Spray paints, fixatives, and aerosols are prohibited in adult and youth classes. Supply lists for courses for students over 16 can be found at montclairartmuseum.org. We recommend the use of non-toxic, no-odor solvents; ask your instructor for more information.
The Museum will occasionally document classes and student work using photography and video for promotional purposes only. If you do not want yourself, your child, or your artwork photographed, please notify the Yard School of Art in writing.
Gift certificates are available for classes. Contact the Education Office at 973-259-5139.
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
A limited number of scholarships are available each season for children and teens based on merit and financial need. The Art for All financial assistance program is available for children with disabilities and special needs. Please visit montclairartmuseum.org for more information. See scholarship information here.
Membership to MAM is valid for one year from the date of purchase. Members receive a variety of benefits including free admission to the museum, the Members e-newsletter InsideMAM, 10% discount in The Store at MAM, and reduced tuition fees for adult studio classes depending on the membership level. Memberships categories and complete benefits are available on the MAM website.
PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible for the reduced member rate for children’s classes or camps, the child’s family must have a current Family or higher membership. Student memberships are available to full-time students ages 18 and older. Membership purchases and renewals must take place as separate transactions prior to class registration in order to apply member discount. For more information, call the Membership Department at 973-259-5151. Become a member today!
Terms of Registration
In consideration of the benefit for which I, or my child, will derive from these activities, I hereby release the Montclair Art Museum (MAM), its trustees, staff, parents, and any other affiliated individuals associated with the Yard School of Art from any and all claims or actions whatsoever in connection with the operation and supervision of these activities. I understand that MAM does not have an onsite nurse or any other medical professional. Staff members will not administer medications and do not have the ability to monitor medical conditions. In the event of an emergency, the MAM staff will seek outside medical assistance.
In the event that I cannot be contacted and the person that I have designated cannot be contacted or in the event of an emergency where there is not sufficient time to contact me or my designee, I hereby authorize MAM’s staff to act on my behalf with regard to medical treatment of myself or my child. Specifically without limitation, I authorize transportation for me, my child, and I authorize emergency medical treatment. Minors will be accompanied by a MAM staff person. I understand that the staff of MAM will make every effort to contact me, or my emergency contact, during an emergency.
My child has permission to take part in all activities at MAM. In addition to activities that take place on MAM grounds, I give my child permission to take walking tours under the supervision of MAM staff.